Saturday, September 5, 2009

Things my kid will listen to

The Point!

The Point! is this GREAT children's album written, narrated and sung by Harry Nillson, about a boy named Oblio who grew up in the Land of Point. If I ever heard this album as a child, I don't remember it, but Aaron grew up with it and shared it with me. If you haven't listened to this album, you should!

As I mentioned, the story is narrated by Nillson, and great songs are interspersed throughout. (Apparently Nillson got the idea while he was on acid and realized that all the trees and houses had points, but don't let that ruin it for you.) The gist: Oblio is a round-headed boy growing up in a land where everything (trees, houses, and people's heads) had to have a point. Oblio gets on the prince's bad side, and is banished, along with his dog, Aarow, to the Pointless Forest because of his round head.

I won't tell you the rest of the story, but it really is great. And the music is beautiful! Three animated film versions of the album have been made, as well as a musical play. My two favorite songs on the album are "Me and My Arrow" and "Think About Your Troubles." Watch the video clip below - I guarantee you'll love it, young or old. Parents, you should get this for your kids. It's better than anything they're playing on TV these days, and blows those stupid Kid Bop records out of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment