Monday, November 23, 2009

What to Expect: Week 30

November 23, 2009

Week friggin' 30.

Seriously? Only 10 weeks to go? How did this happen? It feels like just yesterday that we were buying pregnancy tests in bulk and obsessing over fertility windows, and now I'm as big as a house and I'm waddling. (Yes, I'm waddling. Aaron said that yesterday, and I tried to argue with him, but then I realized today that I have a subtle, yet distinct, waddle to my gait. You were right, honey. And you suck. :)

Last week was a bit of a doozie. I had the pleasure of enduring the 1 hour glucose tolerance test, failing it, then sitting for the 3 hour version two days later. And then I found out I failed that one, too, which means that I officially have gestational diabetes. (Click the link for more info.) Basically, all of the hormones being produced by the placenta are interfering with my insulin's ability to control my blood sugar. The plan of attack is to modify my diet to control my blood sugar levels.

I'm going to take a class next week and see a dietitian to develop a new eating plan that involves a lot less sugar and a lot fewer carbs. I'm not really worried about the carb part because I've read that they'll just tell me to eat whole grains, which I already do exclusively. However, I am worried they're going to take away my ability to eat fruit which is NOT going to be pretty - I'm basically addicted to apples and oranges. The worst part is that I'm going to have to check my blood sugar levels throughout the day, which means I'll be pricking my finger. Yippee.

The good news is that my body should go back to handling my blood sugar normally after the baby is born. There is a slight chance that I'll develop Type 2 diabetes later in life, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't the greatest thing to happen, but it's definitely manageable, and it's far better than other problems I could be having. And, hey, I'll only have to deal with it for 10 more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment