Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What To Expect: Weeks 27 and 28.... and now 29

November 17, 2009
I started to write a blog entry last week, and this is how far I got:

As of this week, the baby is weighing in at around 2.5 pounds and is around 16 inches long. She's definitely become a mover - one night last week she was kicking so hard that Aaron and I could see my stomach move.
Yep, one whole paragraph, people. My brain is not working these days. Well, it's not working at full capacity, and any of the brain power I do have has been reserved for things like writing a thesis and assembling 1,234,000 pieces of IKEA furniture (blog about that to follow sometime this century) and thinking about (ahem, freaking out about) the fact that I have to give birth in 11 weeks - or less!

However, one part of my brain that is working is the part that gets annoyed. For example, a girl in one of my classes yesterday asked me if my baby was planned, and when I told her that, in fact, she was, this girl began to question my judgement as to the timing. Because it apparently didn't make sense to her that if the baby had been planned, why I had picked what she felt was a bad time to have her (the middle of the semester - GASP! ) Because you can pick the exact time you have a baby like you schedule a haircut. Because my life decisions should be based on what a casual school acquaintance thinks.

I thought I was going to have an aneurism right in the middle of class! I did wind up asking her, "Well, when exactly do you think would be a good time to have my baby?" but besides that I kept my cool in front of her. Then called Melissa and two of my friends to bitch about it. I want to call that girl's mom and tell her that she failed at raising a child with acceptable manners.

So, it's another week later on the blog entries, and now our little kicker is the size of a squash. And not a summer squash, people - a 2.5 lb to 3.8 lb beast of a squash. She's definitely quite mobile, and sometimes I'll jump when one of her big moves catches me by surprise.

I haven't gotten really huge yet, so I'm still enjoying the baby belly. In fact, every day at least 2 or 3 times I'll think about how sad I'll be when I'm not pregnant anymore. The times I really notice that my body has changed in a negative way are when I try to do things that were once easy for me and have now become difficult. Example: two weekends ago, I was involved in coordinating a wedding for my friend, Lani, down in Winter Park. I'm used to catering and doing weddings, being up and on my feet for 18 hours straight, no problem. However, by 3:00 the day of the wedding, I thought my feet were literally going to fall off - and I hadn't even been doing the manual labor that I usually wind up doing! It was a tough realization.

Getting up and down is also kind of a chore. When I go from sitting or laying to standing, it usually involves a grunt or two. This provided Aaron with never-ending enjoyment when I was up and down, up and down, up and down, assembling furniture this past week. He thought it was hilarious and started imitating my huffs and puffs and groans. Needless to say, I did not find his imitations amusing. (When our friend, Dan, asked him if he was going to do that in the delivery room, too, Aaron responded, "Absolutely!" I think we all know that's not true, but it was funny that he thought he could get away with it!)

Here are some pictures from the wedding weekend so you can see how the belly is doing!


No comments:

Post a Comment