Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What to expect: Week 5

According to my doctor's visit yesterday, I am beginning my 5th week of pregnancy. Even though we only conceived two weeks ago, the beginning of your pregnancy is calculated from your last menstrual period (LMP.) It's all very confusing. But the plus side is, I'm sure it's the easiest five weeks of having a baby!

I've been devouring the so-called pregnancy bible, What to Expect When You're Expecting, since Aaron and I decided to do this baby thing. (Like I said, I'm a big planner.) The book gives over 600 pages of great, detailed (sometimes a little scary) information that covers everything from conception to labor to bringing home baby.

Here's what the book has to say: Last week (which was technically week four), our baby was no longer a blastocyst and moved up to full-fledged embryo status. It was the size of a poppy seed, and had three layers that will develop into specialized parts of its body.

This week, our baby looks like a tadpole and is the size of on orange seed. The heart is starting to form, and it will start beating. A little orange seed baby. It's totally amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment